HotLanta Hangouts While YOU Teach Your Heart Out!
Are you ready for TYHO Virtual Conference July 8-9, 2021! Well, we are most excited to offer some of the most engaging Keynotes and Presenters. If you are attending LIVE, we have put together a list of places you may want to visit on your stay to the big A to maximize your stay before or after conference hours! We can’t wait to see you!
- SLUTTY VEGAN ATL – Looking for the perfect One Night Stand Plant based burger… Look No Further!
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE – Great if you love history and genealogy
- PIEDMONT PARK-Great place to run, walk or bike! Beautiful trees and greenery.
- WOODRUFF PARK READING ROOM-The Woodruff Park Reading Room is a great place to grab a book while outdoor and simply read!
- FEDERAL RESERVE BANK MONEY MUSEUM
- GOVERNOR’S MANSION TOUR–Free tours of the Governor’s Mansion are offered every Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10 to 11:30 am. It is a great way to learn some history about the city and see the elegance of the mansion.
8. STONE MOUNTAIN LASERSHOW– Lights and lasers being projected onto a huge mountain. The show is free but parking will cost you.
9. SILVER COMET TRAIL–This massive trail is 61.5 miles long and right next to Atlanta. Take a hike, run or walk!
10. GEORGIA STATE CAPITOL–Tour the lovely Capitol building of Georgia located in downtown Atlanta. Built in 1884 the Capitol is quite a site. It is modeled after the Capitol building in D.C.
11. THE SWEET AUBURN DISTRICT–The Sweet Auburn neighborhood is full of amazing history and facts about the civil rights movement. Sweet Auburn is filled with memorials and culture about Atlanta’s African American community.
12. LITTLE FIVE POINTS– So many fun shops and places to grab a bite!
14. ANNE FRANK MUSEUM–Bet you didn’t know Atlanta had an Anne Frank museum. Well, they do, and it’s free! With over 600 photos and a 28 minute video about Frank’s life this could be a fun and educational stop.
15. MOVIES IN CENTRAL PARK– Central Park in Atlanta has free movies that play throughout the summer! Make sure to check the schedule, bring a blanket or 2, and enjoy the movie.
16. HISTORIC OAKLAND CEMETERY– After wandering around trails and historic parks, walk down to the Oakland cemetery. Built in 1850, it is filled with interesting gravestones and many of Atlanta’s founders.
19. ATLANTA FARMER’S MARKET–Fresh food EVERYWHERE!
20. ATLANTA BELTLINE– 22 miles of unused railroad tracks turned bike trails and walkways
26. KROG STREET TUNNEL-Known for its street art that is constantly changing. The tunnel links the Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, and Inman Park neighborhoods
27. PORSCHE EXPERIENCE CENTER– Have fun on the course!
28. SKYVIEW ATLANTA– 20-story Ferris wheel w/ scenic views of downtown Atlanta
29. IFLY ATLANTA -Indoor Skydiving
30. JACKSON STREET BRIDGE– You’ll recognize this view as the opening scene in The Walking Dead.
33. BAPS SHRI SWAMINARAYAN MANDIR TEMPLE-Traditional Hindu temple that will transport you to India
34. SCAD FASH MUSEUM OF FASHION & FILM-Various exhibits of Hollywood gowns and other designer garments made for the cinema
35. NATIONAL CENTER FOR CIVIL AND HUMAN RIGHTS-Dedicated to the achievements of both the civil rights movement in the US and the broader worldwide human rights movement
39. FERNBANK MUSEUM
40. HIGH MUSEUM OF ART– Free admission every second Sunday of the month
41. JIMMY CARTER NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE, LIBRARY, AND MUSEUM– Learn about the 39th president of the United States. Free admission for kids under 16.
42. APEX MUSEUM– Museum of history presented from the black perspective
44. SWAN HOUSE + ATLANTA HISTORY CENTER– You might recognize this from the movie, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
46. CDC MUSEUM– Admission and parking are free
47. STONE SUMMIT– best climbing gyms
50. GIBBS GARDENS
52. TRUIST PARK– Home of the Atlanta Braves
53. STATE FARM ARENA– Home of the Atlanta Hawks
54. MERCEDES BENZ STADIUM– Atlanta Falcons Game or Atlanta United Game
55. DAD’S GARAGE– Catch original plays and improv shows
56. FOX THEATER
57. INMAN PARK FESTIVAL
59. THE TABERNACLE-Up and coming music talent
60. EDDIE’S ATTIC– Live Music
61. NORTHSIDE TAVERN-Great spot for blues
64. ATLANTIC STATION
66. DER BIERGARTEN
68. OLD 4TH DISTILLERY-Tours with tasting start at $15 per adult. Make reservations, it gets busy.
71. BREWERY TOUR-Tasting at Atlanta Brewing Co, Monday Night Brewing, Scofflaw Brewing, & Sweetwater Brewery
72. THE VARSITY– Best Chili Dog Ever!
73. NEGRIL VILLAGE ATLANTA– Carribean Cuisine
74.THE BATTERY AT TRUIST PARK– Shops and Entertainment at the Braves Stadium
75. CIGAR CITY CLUB – Upscale cigar bar
76. KUPCAKERIE– Delicious!!
77. THE SUGAR FACTORY– Make reservations ahead!
78. JUST ADD HONEY TEA COMPANY– Loose tea, reasonably priced in the Cafes at Sweet Auburn Curb Market
80. Who Got Soul Cafe– Soul Food
Blog Content Creator: Charell G. Coleman
Author, Blog Content Creator, Educator/Presenter Student Engagement and Executive Functioning Matters, Book Junkie, Self Help/Care Enthusiast, Mother & Calligraphist